Sunday, October 5, 2014

La citta' di Arezzo


On Saturday Gary and I took the train to the town of Arezzo.  This ancient town was once the center of the Valdarno area, producing farm goods, and was also well-known for its ceramics.  Arezzo is about 63 kilometers from our home in Cellai, which takes about an hour to drive or to take the train, so we opted for the train as we would not have to deal with parking.

The Arno from the train.  Fall is in the air and the leaves are starting to turn!
The train let us off right in the center of town, which made for little walking.  We originally went to find a vitamin shop, which we never found, but the town is quaint and vibrant.  It of course has many churches,  
La chiesa di San Francesco
but it is also a small rival to Firenze for clothing, leather goods, and other high end goods.  In the middle of town is a very long street, Via Monaco, that is closed to traffic.  Here you find all the beautiful shops full of wonderful clothing, shoes, boots, perfumes, etc.  Mixed in with the shops are ristoranti, gelateria and bars.  The bars are not like our bars.  The Italian bars are coffee shops where you buy your expresso, biscotti, and panini (Similar to our Starbucks but with a much better selection of items). 

This street is the social center of the town, and it was packed with people doing the “stroll”.  Young women dressed to the nines strolling with arms linked, talking as only Italian women can do with so much gusto; while the young men are slicked up, trying to catch the eye of any number of the women; mixed in with this are the families with children in tow; then you have the middle aged couples walking arm in arm; the grandparents keeping everyone on their best behavior; and finally the teenagers all out to show off to their peers.  We could use some of this type of people mixing in the US instead of pick-up bars.

After our stroll we had a wonderful lunch at a trattoria with Montalcino wine, and pasta of course.  I had tagliatelle with porcine mushrooms, and Gary had spinach stuffed ravioli.  Yum!

Then we happened upon the monthly antique fair, and wandered through the outdoor booths looking at all the silver, crystal, ancient artifacts, furniture and collectibles.  Unfortunately I was too busy people watching to take many pictures, but here are a couple I did manage to take:  there was one place where these hanging statues were suspended over the street, and it was too weird to pass up!



7 comments:

  1. The "stroll" is what I liked about so many places in Europe. I agree - it's so much more civilized than the hustle of what we Americans do.

    And BTW, how's your foot been, Carmen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking. My foot finally healed around the 23rd of Sept. 11 weeks of that boot, was enough to make me stir crazy. Immediately after I figured it healed we went out and bought bikes.

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful town. Thanks for helping us dream of a vacation. So good to hear you guys are having such a wonderful time. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, we are so glad you are enjoying it!

      Delete
  3. And...Rick Steves was interviewed recently and asked what part of Europe he loves the best: "For some reason, I have many, many more friends in Italy. I can research my guidebook (which has been out and selling great for 20 years) to Denmark or Spain or Vienna, and it’s all pretty businesslike. But when I go to Italy, it’s like old home week — I’ve got friends everywhere I turn. Part of that, I’m sure, is Italy’s expertise in cronyism (I bring them a lot of business). But I love the social scene in Italy, where it’s routine to hang out with the chef long after the dessert plates are swapped out for the firewater beakers. That’s one of many reasons why Italy is my favorite corner of Europe."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a fantastic blog. I have been catching up reading it after Susie Ferguson (I think she does Carmen's hair - and mine as well) told me about it this week. I am so jealous that you are living my dream. And so happy that you are living yours.

    I thought that I would add two points of interest for those that might visit Arezzo:
    Arezzo was the filming location for many scenes from the movie "Life is Beautiful" - Roberto Begnini around 1997 (Academy award for Best Foreign Film and Best Actor).

    Secondly, there is the home of Giorgio Vasari that is full of frescoes painted by him. He was a mid 1500s painter and architect, and was featured very prominently in Dan Brown's "Inferno".

    Bob H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bob! It is great to get a comment from someone we did not know before we left. Maybe our blog is going viral, thanks to Susie;-) And thanks for the tip on Casa Vasari, it sounds like a great place nearby to spend a few hours.

      Delete