Friday, September 5, 2014

Casa Italiana

Hi all, this is Carmen blogging here for a change.

Our new home is a 16th century villa, very rustic, old world, peaceful, and beautiful.  Lots of different things to adjust to that's for sure.  We went shopping for the essential foods, detergent, soaps etc. and we were in the Supermercado for about 2 hours!  Trying to interpret what exactly was in some of the packaged food was fun.  I bought something that I thought was dishwasher soap and it is salt!  Apparently the dishwashers in Italy have to have a pound of salt washed through once a month.  Now I must return to the store to buy the soap.  Who would have thought?

Our landlady Cid is a delightful English woman, and is so helpful.  Our one neighbor, the retired National Geographic journalist is eccentric, lively, and knowledgable.  Her hero is none other than Richard Feynman, Gary's favorite physics hero.  She also knows lots about Native American Indian art!  We will have lots of fun with her.  Our other neighbor is away on holiday this month.  I thought that this place was supposed to be a holiday!

Our kitchen is old world stocked, but there is a wine opener, and a toaster.  No microwave, no mixer, blender, or food processor, a few cooking utensils, a single sink.  Ah the old days!  We will adjust.  Also no dryer.  I have to hang my clothes outside on a line!  At least I will have the time to do this, I think???

Our garden has a fabulous view, but secretly I think the other two private gardens are much nicer.  I also have a palm tree outside our door!  I love palm trees and I have always said that I would never live again where there are no palm trees!  Thank heavens I can still claim that statement.

I ramble on so.  Take care.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment